Thursday, November 3, 2016

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor. Review

 


The dry humored dead warrior Magnus, and his obnoxious, but Loyal sword Jack; return in book 2 to go on a quest to retrieve and bring back the hammer of Thor. Before the giants find out Thor is hammerless and try to invade.


Along with the main characters in the first book, (Magnus, Sam, Jack, Hearthstone, Blitz.) we get introduced to another character. Alex Fierro, a gender fluid daughter/son of Loki. It was also nice to see more depth to Sam's "Betrothed" Amir Fadlan. He's pretty much going to end up being the Magnus Chase equivalent of Paul Blofis (Or Blowfish)


And my goodness! Can we all just give Hearthstone a hug! Seriously, the poor guy has a horrible back story. Which I won't tell you about, because I want to make this spoiler free.


Another thing that really stood out about the book is the new character Alex. Somehow he/she just added something to the series. I really liked how he/she and Sam finally found each other as sort of allies when it came to teasing Magnus, and how Sam and Alex somehow just related to each other somehow. I know that Alex is going to have her/his fair share of haters because of the fact that she/he is gender fluid, and frankly, kind of a butt in the beginning. But Alex grew on me, and I actually think in this case it was OK for there to be a gender fluid character; just because of the fact that there are gender fluid characters in mythology and so he had to make it reflect somewhat on what the myths say. The one concern that I have about Alex is that I'm afraid she/he and Magnus are going to get together. Which would be really weird in my opinion.


And  the final point of emphasis I'm going to make is the wedding scene. After all, it's never a Rick Riordan book without a wedding scene. Right? I'm not going to say who it was, or why they're in this mix up. But there is a wedding situation similar to the one in the sea of monsters.


All in all, I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it for anyone who likes Mythology with a twist and amazing friendships Although I do have to warn you. If you read the first two books, then you will have to read the last one (Rick Riordan has a knack for ending his books on Tartarus hangers)



Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars



 
Well what did you think of the book? Did you like it/hate it? Let me know your thoughts. And may the force be with you.




 























No comments:

Post a Comment