Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Review of The Trials of Apollo book 1: the Hidden Oracle.





Look I didn't want to be a hater. (Sorry couldn't help myself) seriously though. When I first heard about this book coming out I was like "Yes! at last! We finally get to return to the Greeks!" but then I read it, and I have to say, I was a little disappointed.


The book starts out with the honorable, dignified Apollo being banished from Olympus and landing in, you guessed it. A Trash can. And what's worse is he's a smelly teenager with acne, yes Acne! After Apollo is done having, the first of many parts of a temper tantrum, he does something stupid again, and as a result is in some deep trouble with a few punks. Nope, just kidding. He gets saved at the last second by a "random" girl off the street who can move fruit. And that's how he met his master Meg. Apollo and Meg eventually learn that the only way for Apollo to regain his godly form is to recapture the five altars that have been taken.


That's pretty much the plot summary. I am not gonna mention certain things, like who the bad guy is for instance. Why? well, I don't know about you, but I hate spoilers. So I'm trying to make this as spoiler free as possible. Needless to say though, there are a lot of cool plot twists


What I liked: One of the things I really liked about the book is Meg. She was the exact sidekick that Apollo needed (Although it felt more like he was her sidekick) it was quite funny seeing the two constantly bickering. If you want a comparison to their friendship, think along the lines of princess Vanellope and Ralph's friendship.


Another thing that was great was the character development of Apollo. He actually went from thinking that demigods were made to die on quests for them gods to actually and sincerely feeling bad about sending all of them to their deaths. It was great to see Apollo brought so down to earth (Pun intended)


And also, am I the only one who loved the way Apollo's children took him in, and protected him? I thought that was amazing.


But now that I've covered most of the things that I liked about the books, I now need to talk about what I didn't like.


The first and most obvious thing that I hated is the gayness! seriously, he had to make Nico and Will get together? He really had to? Rick ruined what could have been a really cool book friendship and instead decided to make them a couple! why? and lets not forget all the references that Apollo made about his former lover hyacinthe (Yes he's a boy) was it seriously necessary? I don't think so.


I also felt like this and the writing style in Heroes of Olympus just weren't on the same level as his other works. To his credit he still kept some of the lighthearted humor and friendship moments. But this book just felt watered down from the others, and it had a sort of flowery feel to it.


Overall, this was an OK book. I will likely read the rest of the series. But only because I'm curious about what will happen, and because of what happens/who shows up in the end. All in all though, I would have to say this was my least favorite of his books, but I've still read worse books.


What did you guy think? Did you like it/not like it. Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment