Saturday, February 4, 2017

5 Overated and Underated Books

Don't you hate it when you get into an obscure fandom and there are hardly any other fans to geek out with? Or when you read something that is super popular and.............. it's really not so great. Well, that's a feeling that I'm sure every bookworm has some experience with. And that's what I'm going to talk about. (Or more realistically, babble)



UNDERRATEED BOOKS:



#1. The Chronicles of Prydain        
Image result for the chronicles of Pydain
If you're looking for a lighthearted, clean fantasy series that is devoted to  Character development, plot twists and amazing characters, than look no further. As this is exactly that.



#2. The Robe
Image result for the robe book I don't read many biblical fictions, but ever since  I read this as part of my school (I'm homeschooled) I've been wanting to pick  up more of them. The plot, at first, isn't all that eye catching. It looks like is the classic Roman gladiator story where the MC (Or the gladiator)  goes through some life changing event and seeks out Jesus. And that's actually pretty much what it is. but it was never the plot that made this book fantastic , it's the way it was written. Somehow this book is just different. Read it! you won't regret it.



#3. Rangers Apprentice


Image result for Rangers ApprenticeWhile the argument could be made that this doesn't belong on the underrated list, due to it becoming increasingly popular over the past few years, I decided I'm putting it on anyway, because I think this series should be even more popular. I loved this series so much that  after reading it  I literally searched if there were any jobs similar to a Kings Ranger.  (*Sighs* No, there are no similar jobs)



#4. Airman
Image result for Airman Just the name of the author alone made me excited to read this, as Eoin Colfer is just downright brilliant, but as high as my expectations were, this book absolutely exceeded them. Not only does this have a great plot, a mechanical science feel to it, but it also is set in one of the best places possible: a kingdom. I mean, it's A KINGDOM! who wouldn't like that?



#5. Flowers for Algernon
Image result for flowers for algernon One of the few classics I ever liked. It's a unique but sad story that gives an insiders scoop on what it's like to be autistic. One of the things  I really like about this book  is the story is not at all sugar coated. It's  shown what it would be like if, theoretically, an intellectually challenged person suddenly underwent an intelligence increase. . This is a very emotionally raw book, but totally worth the read. Note: It can be rather inappropriate at times



OVERATED BOOKS:



#6. The Maze Runner
Image result for the maze runner I know, I know. Most of you probably love this series. But  I personally just couldn't get into it. The plot was good  and all, but beyond that, I really don't have many positive things  to say about it. The writing style was choppy at best.  The main character, who is supposed to be interesting and very likeable  I found a  flat. And Brenda was just  UGH! I understand that a lot of people liked this series, but I personally just found it kind of meh.



#7. Lord of the Flies
Image result for Lord of the flies Why on earth is this popular? Why? It is so boring!



#8. Riders
Image result for Riders book When I saw the plot of this I remember being super excited. And then I read it.................... It had good things about it such as: the characters having to learn to work together,  and, of course Sebastian, but there were some things I just couldn't get past. Like the main character (War) is an arrogant hotheaded jerk and he shows no signs of improving in these areas. He also seems to ,objectify  Darren a little bit.  He is, frankly, a butthead. And how am I suppose to  root for the characters when the MC is so ulikeable? That was just  one of my many problems with this book.



#9. Heroes of Olympus
Image result for heroes of olympus While the PJO series is the best thing since Chocolate,  this series was......... not quite up to that level.  Don't get me wrong, I still really liked this series. It had many familiar elements us Percy Jackson fans have gotten used to:  Sarcastic dialog, fun monster battles, some great new characters, and plot twists.  But it also introduced  some things I  haven't seen from Riordan before, and frankly didn't like. It definitely had a much darker theme to it. Which would have been fine and all, if it weren't for the fact that part of the reason the original books are so great is because of their sarcastic lighthearted feel. I also didn't like some of the worldly themes Riordan decided to incorporate into the series (*Cough* Nico *Cough*) and the unnecessary teen drama annoyed me.
Yet despite all the annoyed ranting, I did still enjoy the series, and I still recommend it.



#10. Narnia
Image result for Narnia books I just didn't like these for no reason in particular. They never clicked for me. That's not to say that you will not like them, it's just I did not. I really should have, but I didn't, case closed.



So there you have it! a list of 5 underrated and Overrated Books.  I'm sorry about not posting last week, I was sick. Which I know is a really lame excuse but............. still.




What books do you think are Overrated and Underrated and what are some of your favorites? Leave it in the comments below.



4 comments:

  1. I don't think other bloggers write posts like this very often. They're too afraid to say that they don't like a certain popular series, simply because everyone else likes it. Or that they don't like a certain unpopular series simply because no one likes it or has heard of it. I like this list, and I like this blog! You are unafraid to express your opinions and undeterred by the fact that other people probably have totally different ones. Thumbs up! :D

    Delilah Red (thecheapskatebibliomaniac.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I like to take an honest approach to my blog about my opinions. I wasn't originally sure honest blogging would go over well, but now after seeing your comment I have hope that maybe it will.
      Your blog looks awesome as well, I really like the literature feel to it
      Thanks for the comment. It made my day!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't exactly opting for a literature feel, just a decent design - it just turned out that way automatically, I guess. Literature is my life, after all :) Thanks!
    By the way, I hadn't checked for pending comments recently on my blog, so didn't see either of yours till today. Just wanted to make sure you knew I replied, seeing as I promised to and all... Yeah, I'm like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D: Nah, your fine. It sometimes takes me a few days to see comments as well, so I totally get it.

      Delete