Saturday, March 4, 2017

Iron Man: The Gauntlet Review




Last month was not a great book month. The best books that I read  were, at best, Mediocre, except for one particular book. My book of the month, Iron Man: The Gauntlet.
That must have been a big surprise right? I mean, it's not like the post title or the big book cover at the top of the page gave it away. 


To start out with let me say that this book was decent but not the greatest. Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoyed it, but I also felt like it was greatly lacking in a few areas.

The main reason I decided to read it was (A) It's about Tony Stark. And (B) It was written by one of my favorite authors: The brilliant Eoin Colfer. And, I mean, how could I go wrong? the book was written by Colfer for goodness sake.
 Since I'm a nice person and am always thoughtful of other people I will start with talking about what I liked about the book. So let's get to it.


What I liked: The author did something that many have tried, and failed to do: He made Tony snarky, but clean. Somehow someway he did it. And I really appreciated that.

I also really liked how the first chapter of the book shows Tony having a conversation with his father, and how we see throughout the book that that conversation impacted him on a deep level.

The Manor (a character who isn't quite a major or a minor character. Yes I made up that word. Deal with it) characters were well developed and quite interesting. There was never that one character whose narration got so boring I just wanted put the character in a blender and feed them to my dogs.


But where there are things that I did like, there are also.............


Things that I didn't like: While I did appreciate Colfer keeping Tony clean, I felt like he overdid it a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want Colfer to make him a pig, but I think to a point that sort of defines Batman's er. I mean Tony's (Same difference really. Both hare rich and both don't have parents anymore) character. At one point Stark mentions that he had given up drinking years before, which just felt like an in-Stark like thing. Little things like that just derived from Tony's character a little bit. I would have just preferred it if Colfer had just left out all those comments from Tony about how he had given up all of his addictions, it just didn't feel right coming from him. I'm not for guys being sluts, alcaholic's and all the likes, but I don't like it when characters personalities change either.

Another big complaint of mine is that the story came to a stand still and got rather dry at times. Which I know is a really lame complaint and all, but I'm going to complain about it anyway because I'm a grouchy grapefruit and all.

My final complaint is that the whole big plot is supposed to be about Tony surviving without his suit, and yet he is only without it for about 1 chapter. It just felt kind of misleading.


And wrap that up and give it to a child on Christmas. Cause were done.


have you read the book? What did you think of it? Do you read any Colfer books, and if so, what were some of your favorites? Talk to me in the comment below.

As a side note, I would really appreciate it if you would vote on the poll located at the top right hand corner. That is all, you may continue with your day peasant.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment