Friday, March 17, 2017

My Thoughts On Christian Fiction

You know what I love to see? A Christian fiction that I sincerely enjoy. Because I don't about you guys, but that is something I have struggled to find.


We as Christians have a responsibility to be unique, to not back away from the tough topics, and to not make reader/watchers bored to tears.


I've noticed these four things that MOST Christian Fiction has in common.


(A) They're about as Diverse as a Hallmark movie.
*Cough* Shadow Mancer *cough**Cough*


(B) The villains are all the same.
They're either completely bad (God forbid we have a gray villain) or else some sort of person they were close to died and they have now wandered away from their faith, but that's ok, because after they whine for most of the story the find God again in one. Single. Scene.


(C) They like cramming theology down your throat.



(D) They portray all non Christians as horrible people.
It's just like: "Hmm, lets add a few non Christians to this book and make them all evil" Yeah, sure. That Will REALLY help more people find Christ. It's ok if the villains are non Christians, but that doesn't mean, you know, all of them have to be jerks.


I know the authors mean well and all, but I wish they would go about it in a different way. They've become so desperate to get the message out, that they are either super preachy or else take liberties in order to try and make the stories interesting.


Christian stories just have so much potential to be deep and moving. Don't waste that potential. Keep striving towards creating that great story, and one day you will be glad you did.


But, of course, what do I know? I'm simply speaking as a reader, not a writer. And everyone knows that you have to be a writer in order to recognize quality writing.


What do you think of Christian Fiction? Do you have any favorites, and if so why? Talk to me in the comments below, and we shall have a lovely geek conversation.






5 comments:

  1. As a reader, you definitely have valuable opinions on writing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. One reason writing is so hard is because we know how smart our readers are, and that they won't stand for bad plot or unrealistic characters.

    I appreciate hearing your thoughts. From a writer's perspective it can be intimidating to take the plunge into "overtly" Christian writing. Especially nowadays with social media. I have seen other Christian writers get ripped apart because of how they explored the Christian journey, or put in those "gray characters."

    And are those books for other Christians or for nonbelievers? It's tricky territory. TBH, most nonbelievers I know would put a book down as soon as it referenced God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And let me start by saying great job on your writing! I read The creation of Jack and loved it!

      I completely understand what you mean when you say it's intimidating to write overtly Christian. I also see what you mean by Christian writers getting torn apart for writing gray characters. It's sad, but I suppose it's reality.

      Thanks for commenting. I really appreciate hearing thoughts from a writers perspective it helps me appreciate just how hard getting Christian fiction(Or any other genre) Write is.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's always good to share opinions. It keeps us open minded. Thanks for reading my book! I saw you rated it on Goodreads. If you would be willing to rate it on amazon too (maybe with a few words), I would be happy to send you a free copy of the sequel (which comes out in seven days!!!)

      Shoot me an e-mail if you're interested: ebdawsonwriting@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a time you'd have with the Dragons in our Midst book one...... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's one series I know to stay away from now! :D

      Delete